In a time where the majority of new heavy metal-acts seem to rehash NWOBHM or mid eighties European metal, it’s refreshing to hear a band like Stereo Nasty. They might not be bringing anything new to the table either, but the mix of heavy metal with and powerful hard rock, is so seldomly done these days that the promo the band sent me really stood out. I caught up guitarist Adrian Foley to get the full story on this promising Irish newcomer. Continue reading
As most of the regular readers have probably noticed by now, I was offered the chance to stream one of the very best metal albums released this year here at Metal Squadron. The album in question is of course “The Reaper’s Spiral”, from Terminus, soon to be released on CD by Stormspell and on vinyl and tape format by Horror Records. Continue reading
I have to admit I wasn’t too impressed by “Born By The Wind”, the debut demo from Starborn, the Newcastle outfit formed back in 2012. When I heard the preview track, “Triumphant Resolve” from the forthcoming EP “The Dreaming City”, things really changed. I was astonished to hear how much the band had improved. The vocals, the general performance, the songwriting…Pretty much everything was two steps above the demo. Continue reading
– Working man’s heavy metal with a punk undertone. Great!
2. SOLITARY SABRED ”Redemption Through Force”(Self released)
– A huge step forward from the last album. Very good epic metal.
– Might not be the most popular band around here, but I’ve had a really weak spot for this band since the debut. “Black Moon Rising” might be the best record they’ve released since “Falconer”.
2. NOBLE BEAST “Noble Beast” (Tridroid)
– What is it with me and the more melodic stuff this time? Extremely catchy, singalong European metal done by an American band, doesn’t sound like my stuff at all. Noble Beast blends Blind Guardian with Running Wild and Iron Saviour. A huge surprise!
Stormspell seems to be capturing a lot of the up and coming demo acts these days. One reason might be that Iordan is good at keeping up with what’s happening in the scene, but I guess it also comes down to the fact that he has earned a reputation for helping smaller bands and projects before some of them have moved on to bigger and better (?) things. Cloven Altar, the brainchild of Dustin Altar, is about to unleash their self titled, three track EP through Stormspell, and as always, we were curious to know as many details as possible. Continue reading
Just like the recently covered Blade Killer, Chicago’s own Crusader is a relatively new heavy metal-band that has been given the chance to spread their music in physical format through one of the most hyperactive labels out there, Stormspell Records. While Blade Killer just put out their first EP, Crusader released theirs a couple of years ago. Right now, they’re ready to unleash their debut full length on the heavy metal audience. Continue reading
It certainly doesn’t seem that it will end soon, the stream of new US bands heavily influenced by the NWOBHM. In many cases we are talking about musicians with a background from other genres of metal who now wants to try their luck at replicating or creating something similar to the wave that washed through Great Britain more than thirty years ago. Continue reading
– Their best effort so far. Still weird and original, but also a bit easier to get into.
2. STONE DAGGER “Demo” (Self released)
– Epic metal with the singer from Magic Circle. Tape only, 7″ coming up!